Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Color Theory

Ali recently turned me on to a new yarn shop and a new yarn therein: Loopy Ewe and Sweet Georgia Yarns.

Sweet Georgia makes gorgeous yarn and is a Buffy fan. They have Buffy-inspired colorways: Angel, Slayer and Willow. I was very much interested in this for a variety of reasons, but the main one right now is that in two out of three cases, the colors are not what I would have chosen. I think the Angel has too much white, and, while I love the Willow, being a Big Fan of Green, it doesn’t say “Willow” to me.

So now I’m wondering: what DOES say Willow to me and why? If I were designing colorways for specific people what would I choose and why? When I was thinking about Willow, I was thinking about orange and pink and green because, in the first years of Buffy, she wore a lot of those colors and also she seemed very much like a young girl and those colors are young and girlish. As she became older and more powerful and sophisticated, her palette changed.

Of course this is subjective. I’d be interested to hear other opinions. Say you were designing a color palette for your favorite fictional character: what and why?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:49 PM , Blogger Ragged Around the Edges said...

I am not sure what I'd put with it, but when I think of Willow, I think deep orange.

 
At 6:51 PM , Blogger quantumtea said...

Willow's hard to pin down for me, but Vamp Willow? Charcoal grey, blood red, and a touch of royal purple!

 
At 5:16 AM , Blogger Arianne said...

I thought that the Willow colourway was based on a willow tree...
I guess it probably isn't, but I think the colours it has are good...because then people who don't watch Buffy would still have the tree to associate it with.
Well, anyway...I like it as a tree colourway. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home